Saturday, November 19, 2011

My New and Improved Weight Loss Plan

Like most postpartum people, I have baby weight I'd like to get off.

As I hit my 6 week post delivery point this last week, I got thinking, "Okay, enough slacking off. What's my plan going to be? I want to be back to pre pregnancy weight by this event. And I don't want the holidays to derail me. And I really want to wear those jeans again, etc. etc."

Almost the exact moment these thoughts came to my head, I heard the most fascinating (and probably exaggerated) fact on the radio. The DJ said:

"A new study says that the average woman spends a total of 50 years over her lifetime thinking and worrying about her weight."

WOW! Really? 50 years! And creepy that I heard this on a day when I was one of those women.

That's when it hit me. Life is too short to put too much time into worrying about this. Yes, it's important to be healthy, but you know, I'd be pretty ashamed if I let this one area of my life dominate my self-worth or heaven forbid, take time away from the time I have with my husband and kids.

Nonetheless, I do feel best when I'm exercising and taking some time for myself, so it's a tricky balance.

Where does wanting to be healthy cross the line into sheer vanity? How much time/effort into this is too much? That's a question that I believe everyone, no matter what weight you're at has to ask themselves and figure out on their own.

So with that in mind, please indulge me as I share the plan that I've come up with for me:

1. 30 minutes of exercise, 3 to 5 times per week. This exercise will be anything I feel like doing on any given day. And yes, sometimes it will be an easy walk with the kids. (Because if I'm being honest, I almost always can find a half hour somewhere in my day, but I can rarely find a complete hour).

2. Eat 3 moderate meals per day and one snack. There are some diets out there that say that you should eat small meals every two or three hours. For me, I've found that doing this just makes me think about food ALL DAY LONG. And when I start thinking about food all the time, I start thinking about all the food I'm missing out on by eating my meager meal.

3. Eat dessert or treats only at Sunday dinner or special occasions (parties, events, etc.), but if I NEED a mini snickers bar every now and then, don't deny myself. When I deny, I just binge later.

I have no deadline to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight. And maybe I never will be. But I do have confidence that if I do these things, I'll be at the weight I'm supposed to be. And besides, who REALLY wants to wear last year's jeans anyway?

3 comments:

  1. I read once that nearly all women (unless they go psycho about their weight loss like celebrities or have abnormal genes :D) take about 9 months to fit into their pre-pregnancy clothes. So yes, work out, but definitely don't stress about it! I think your plan is terrific and might have to implement that once my little guy arrives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds sensible to me...and Amy

    (http://blogs.babycenter.com/celebrities/11152011-amy-adams-im-okay-with-my-muffin-top/?scid=preg_2_20111117:2&pe=MlVBR3lGQnwyMDExMTExNw..)

    Are you going to be using Six-pack Lindsay's workouts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, 6 pack Lindsay is a part of my week on days when I'm feeling up to working that hard. I'm telling you, she was mild during pregnancy, but she means business afterwards! That's why she looks the way she does!!!

    ReplyDelete