Monday, October 17, 2011

Please, Don't Sing Under My Window

source


I already know that I will probably hurt someone’s feelings with this post or cause some controversy, but that is what gets more readers, right? A little drama? But, I also know that everyone has something that just makes them so uncomfortable they just want to hide under a rock and pretend it isn’t happening. For some, it is public speaking. For others it may be a confrontation. Some may find watching ice-skating awkward or the sound of nails on a chalkboard unbearable. Whatever it is, we all tick a little bit differently.

For me, it is the serenade.

I don’t know what it is about the serenade that is so awkward. Most of the time the person serenading has a nice voice, otherwise hopefully they wouldn’t do it. Maybe I just feel bad for the person that has to sit there and listen.

What are you supposed to do? Do you stare at them and smile? Do you look down at your feet? Do you picture them in their underwear? Do you laugh? Do you cry and pretend you are touched when really you just want to crawl out of your skin and die from embarrassment?

Luckily, it has never happened to me first hand. However, I have seen plenty of them to last me a lifetime. Birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, in the middle of the street in the city, The Bachelorette….etc. It is usually when I excuse myself to the bathroom and hide until it is over.

I am pretty sure this is why I can’t watch American Idol or any of the other singing shows.

What makes you uncomfortable?


7 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I always ran the other way when I found out a guy I was dating played the guitar. I mean, come on, there are only two reasons why guys learn to play the guitar:

    1) to serenade ladies
    2) to pull it out at parties and impress ladies

    Both are STUPID and make me incredibly uncomfortable.

    I'm pretty sure they teach guitar lessons at douche bag school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this happened to me at a social recently. I can tell you what I did. I looked at my feet!! Never been so uncomfortable in my life!! The guy told me afterwards that that is what I get for sitting in the front row. Awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like this with the Happy Birthday song. A friend's family sings, "This is your birthday song, it isn't very long. Hey!" I thought that was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and i are definately sisters...I even have to leave church when someone sings a solo....SO BAD! Why can't I just suck it up? I figured it out yesterday though. Solos make me have asthma related breathing problems because I get so nervous FOR that person...I'm pulling out my inhaler, and taking hits a la THE GOONIES.

    However. I can belt it out by myself in my car...Kind of a double standard don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poetry. The lovey dovey kind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I've tried to post a comment three times, now. If it appears three times, I don't know what to tell ya. Anywho....

    I was serenaded once in college. ONCE! He quickly attained creeper status. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I am with you on this. I am certain there are gals out there that dig this sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. My friend was once serenaded while dancing with a guy to "endless love". He sang the Diana Ross part. It was their first and last date.

    ReplyDelete