Monday, October 24, 2011

Mind Your Manners

I feel like some people may need a refresher course in manners. Did you know that there are some questions or statements that are just impolite? Well, just in case you weren't sure....here are a few examples.

(Your mom is excluded from this. Mom's can ask whatever questions they want. They birthed you.)

1. Why don't you have kids yet? When are you going to have kids? Why doesn't Sophie have a baby brother/sister yet?

You never know what other people are going through so just keep your mouth shut on the subject of children.


2. Congratulations! When are you due?

Unless the woman tells you she is pregnant, or you actually see the baby's head coming out....do not comment on bellies. After I got home from the hospital with my first baby, I remember unloading the car. My husband had already taken the baby up to our apartment. I could hear my neighbors a few cars away arguing whether I had had the baby yet. The husband was convinced that I was still pregnant due to my "huge belly". Thanks a lot.


3. How much do you weigh?

No explanation needed.


4. How much money does your husband make? How much money do you make? How much did you pay for your house?

On the subject of money...shhhh. I may be a little old fashioned, but I think it is just impolite.


5. WOW!!! You look like you are ready to pop! Are you sure it isn't twins?!?

Once again. Bellies are off limits. Unless you are telling them that they have the perfect shaped belly and you can't believe how fantastic they look. It is always ok to tell someone that they look great. Always.


6. Are you really going to wear that?

I accidentally said this to my husband the other day. Apparently it is rude and does not go over well.


7. Why aren't you married yet? Is he EVER going to ask you to marry him?

Yes, please, rub salt in someone's wound. Everyone wants to be reminded that they aren't married yet or that they person they are dating is never going to commit.


8. Have you tried wrinkle cream for those crows feet?

Pointing out someone's imperfections is just mean. Most likely they already know about their new found wrinkles.


9. So, what went wrong in your marriage? Why did you get a divorce?

None of your business. If they want to tell you, they will.



Sadly, I have made a few of these comments. Please add to the list!! I would like to avoid saying things that offend others :)

4 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of the statement "You look tired". Nope, not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a question, but I am not a fan of, "boy, that son of your really has a pumpkin head." Yes, I am fully aware that my son has a giant head, thank you also for noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Are you actually going to put that into your mouth?" Now...if you are saying that to your own child, and they are going to put, say poop in their mouth, that's ok. But one woman to another, or man to wife...NOT OK. Especially around Holidays, Birthdays...everyday. If I'm going to eat junk food, I'm gonna eat junk food. NOT YOUR PROBLEM... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...My other FAVE..."Is it close to your time of the month? CAN OF WORMS!

    ReplyDelete