Thursday, September 15, 2011

Roughing It


My little family and I go camping - a lot (at least it feels like a lot to me). Luckily we have a camping trailer, so it's not exactly miserable. (Side note: I would never tent camp while pregnant or with a young child, much to my husbands chagrin. Really, though, can you imagine anything more miserable?).

Anyhow, here are some observations I made during this Summer O' Camping:

1) I always expect to run across a dead body when in the mountains. I don't know where this absurd morbidity comes from. I just know that whenever we go for a hike I'm looking in the underbrush and at the bottom of streams expecting to find a body that someone has stashed. Don't worry, though, it hasn't happened...yet.

2) I know nothing about wild animals. For example, I thought you should lay on your stomach to protect your vitals if you encounter a black bear. Wrong. Apparently you should fight them. What? Up until 3 years ago I had no idea that moose could be dangerous. I thought they were pretty much the same as deer. One time while horseback riding (I know, I'm sounding more rugged all the time) we came across a moose. I wasn't even scared (because I wasn't told I should be yet). 10 minutes later we came across a flock(?) of wild turkey and I was scared. Did you know their wings are so strong they can break bones? (Of course there's not much a turkey can do to a human who's sitting on a horse, but still we were outnumbered - hence my fear).

3) My husband magically gains culinary skills while camping. He makes every meal when we camp. And it's awesome.

4) Despite arguments against the Boy Scouts of America I think it has come in pretty handy. My husband can build a fire, knows what to do when wild animals are nearby, always carries matches and a pocket knife, can build a shelter overnight if needed, etc. I, on the other hand, can do none of these things. But I'm good at keeping the trailer clean, so we make a good team.

1 comment:

  1. I have a terrible fear of bears while camping. My bladder basically has to tell me it's going to explode before I'll leave the tent to pee in the middle of the night. I'm hoping this doesn't cause any permanent kidney damage.

    ReplyDelete