Friday, September 23, 2011

The Random Word Generator

Surprise! It's me (Kasey) again, filling in for Erica today. Erica started graduate school and has been busy, busy, busy. We still have room for another contributor on Pear Shaped Thoughts so if anyone is interested in writing once a week and helping relieve Erica's load let us know at pearshapedthoughts@gmail.com. We've loved having our newest writers, Jami and Linz, share their thoughts with us each week and they're having the time of their lives (I'm pretty sure) so naturally, you will too! Don't be shy.

Since I just wrote yesterday I had a hard time coming up with something to write about today (inspiration only comes to me on a weekly basis, apparently). I thought it would be nice if there was a random word generator out there that could give me a few words and I would make myself write about one of those words. You want to know something creepy about the internet? Almost anything you can think of is on there. Including random word generators. I went to http://creativitygames.net/random-word-generator and chose 5 random words to pop up. Here they are: bacteria, diver, spoon, playground, and butcher. Of course I am choosing to write about bacteria.

As a freshman at BYU-Hawaii I contracted a bacteria known fondly as ringworm.

(I realize a picture of ringworm would be more appropriate for this post, but I looked it up and it was totally disgusting. I thought the picture of BYU-Hawaii was much nicer to look at. You can thank me later).
The doctor on campus told me I most likely picked ringworm up from the gym. Anyway, the ringworm was on my arm just a few inches above my elbow - there for all the world to see. In fact, some of my friends started calling me "ringworm" as a nickname. How rude. The really awful thing about ringworm is that it itches like crazy, but you're not supposed to touch it because it's contagious. My ringworm was about the size of a quarter, so to keep myself from scratching it I put two bandages over it. People in Hawaii are either very concerned or very nosy because I got asked all the time what happened to my arm. I didn't want to tell people I had ringworm because that's basically like telling someone you have rabies (except I don't think you can die from ringworm and you can die from rabies, just ask Old Yeller. Never mind, he got shot because he had rabies. Moving on.). So, I lied. I told everyone I got bit by a sea turtle. And they believed me, poor saps. Eventually my ringworm cleared up and all was well.

The moral of the story? Don't go to the gym.

2 comments:

  1. I knew there was a reason I avoided the gym! Ha! Actually, I got my brother a free kitten one year for his birthday and it gave the whole family ringworm. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the gym? How is that? Is it from the showers in the gym? Because if it is, I am in big ringworm trouble. I shower at the gym 5 days a week. Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete