Thursday, September 22, 2011

On Being a 50's Housewife


I ran across something the other day that I received at one of my bridal showers several years ago. It's a book with some advice on how to be a good wife taken from a 1950's home economics textbook. Let's see how we measure up, shall we?

1) Advice: Have a delicious meal ready when he arrives home from work. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking of him.

Me: As long as it's not Saturday, Sunday, or Monday I usually make dinner. Whether or not it is delicious is debatable. And have I been thinking of him while he's gone? Besides when I'm thinking about cleaning, laundry, feeding my toddler, entertaining my toddler, sneaking in a nap, getting stuff ready for the new baby, planning my church lessons, etc. then, yeah, I'm thinking about him.

2) Advice: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives home. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair, and be fresh looking.

Me: Sometimes I'm passed out on the couch when he comes home, so if that counts for my 15 minutes of resting, then I'm on track. As for touching up makeup and putting a ribbon in my hair...we're lucky if I'm not wearing a t-shirt and sweats.

3) Advice: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces if they are small, comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Me: Ha, ha, ha.

4) Advice: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner.

Me: I was just upset at the ol' hubby two days ago for being late to dinner so big FAIL on my part.

5) Advice: When your husband comes home from work have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Offer to take off his shoes.

Me: I've been waiting hand and foot on the kids all day and now I have to wait on him too? I don't think so.

Seems I have far to go to be the quintessential 50's housewife, but he has yet to complain (so, I have yet to change).

How do you measure up?

Image

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! My husband's grandmother insists that we will be happier if I put on a fresh coat of lipstick before he gets home and freshen up my hair. (I don't wear lipstick) Her reasoning? Business women are so attractive and wiley, I need to remind him why he comes home to ME every night. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I failed! I figure I'm dressed up if I change into sweats that don't have holes in them! Haha! Wow, I just reread how sad that sounds.

    ReplyDelete