Thursday, September 29, 2011

Just Call Me June

My dream came true. I looked in the mirror yesterday and I was June Cleaver.


I was in the middle of making dinner, I had a pearl necklace on (sometimes I wear jewelry when I go to work), and I was wearing an apron. You can't get any closer to June than that. Well, I suppose I could have been wearing a dress and high heels too, but let's be real. Not to mention I've canned green beans, peaches, and pears this month. What's more domestic than canning? Probably nothing.

In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to be June Cleaver. Namely because the Beaver is so dang funny and who wouldn't want to be his mom? But also because the ideal seems nice: being a stay at home mom, keeping the house clean for the family, serving meals, making your kids costumes for the school play, knowing your kid's friends and what they are up to, etc. I can live without the dressing up, being stuck at home all day due to having only one car, not having a dishwasher or clothes washer, and those other minor nuisances that woman lived with back in "the day."

So here's to making all of my wildest dreams come true. Except I have one tiny problem - I really hate to cook. Which is troublesome, since June spent at least half of each episode making meals. If I can count pulling cereal boxes out of the cupboard as "making a meal" though, then I'm in the clear.

In the end, I'm closer to the 50's housewife than I thought.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the day? I am stuck at home because we only have one car and we do not have a dishwasher. Oh to be June Cleaver. It looks like what I lack may actually be putting me closer to her than I thought!

    ReplyDelete