Thursday, August 11, 2011

When People Blog Too Much


This doesn't apply to our blog, obviously. I'm thinking more of the personal blog/family blog/document-every-teeny-tiny-little-thing-my-children-do-blog.


I've read blogs before where I think "Hey, haven't I already read this? Only I couldn't have already read it, as it was just posted today." Turns out that the child's first day of school/encounter with Santa Claus/losing a tooth was posted the year before. And although it is a separate occurrence that happened a year apart there is no variation whatsoever. Get some creativity people!


Or people blog literally every day so you're reading about every time they went to the park/swimming lessons/parade. As the saying goes - if you don't have anything interesting to say, don't say anything at all (okay, I really know it's if you don't have anything nice to say..., but this would be good a saying too).


I get people want to document their lives, really I do, and that's why their blogs are overly detailed. But if they're too boring or monotonous not even the posterity they were created for will want to read them in years to come. It's like when my dad once recorded my entire swim lesson. Yes, it's nice to see my 7 year old self trying to swim (I was/am a terrible swimmer), but even now I only watch the first 2 minutes and fast forward the following 28.


I know what you're thinking, "if you're that annoyed by the blogs, why read them?" I'll tell you, dear reader, exactly why I do. Because every once in a while you'll get a little nugget of information such as my husband spends all day playing video games/we're living with my parents because we're in massive debt/despite this rosy picture I'm painting my marriage is actually on the rocks that make it all worth it. At least for a nosey person like me.

1 comment:

  1. Heartless, Kasey. J/K. I'm with you on this one. There are several personal blogs I read not because I know the person at all, but just because of the little nuggets they frequently include.I sometimes think, "What would I do without them?" So to those "tell too much" blogs, I say, write on!

    ReplyDelete