Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thumb Sucker


My little guy sucks his thumb (that would be my son, not my husband. Picture above is not my kid, by the way). There are pros and cons to this. The pros - he's always been a great sleeper (not to brag, but he was consistently sleeping through the night at 10 weeks, okay I meant to brag) and he's a good nap taker (two and a half years old and still takes two hour naps. Every day. Done bragging). Plus, he started sucking his thumb in the womb (I have pictures, or rather ultrasounds) and who am I to break a habit that he started before we even met?


But, of course there are cons. A few months ago he was sucking his thumb so much it started to crack. I tried to get him to quit sucking his thumb during the day, but I was sometimes met with a fit, or worse, a meltdown.


When will this habit end? And when should I try to break it? My biggest fear is that he'll be one of those 20-something year olds that still suck their thumb, but disguise it by pretending to be biting their thumb (we're on to you). That's a lie. My actual biggest fear is to be buried alive, but the thumb sucking into adulthood is definitely in the top hundred.

No comments:

Post a Comment