Monday, August 1, 2011

Close Encounters

I was this close to dying the other day (imagine my thumb and forefinger very close together). Some friendly neighbors invited us over a few days ago to watch them light off some fireworks. In case you don't live in Zion and are wondering why fireworks are being set off in late July then it is important to note that Utah celebrates the day the pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on July 24th (known as Pioneer Day - go figure). Okay, back to my near death experience. So, we go to my neighbor's house to watch the fireworks, but end up sitting in the garage because it was raining a bit. The show is going along smoothly until they set off an aerial firework (these babies can shoot as high as 150 feet). I don't know if it was because the ground was wet from the rain or what, but the firework tipped over and started shooting straight at us. No joke. There was no place to run or hide because there were still cars parked in the garage, we were sitting in front of the cars, and the only exit was straight forward which was the same direction the deadly flames and sparks were shooting - so there was nothing to do but scream and wait for our imminent death or the fireworks to end, whichever came first.

In this situation did I...
a) hold my son in front of me to use as a shield so I wouldn't get my face burned
or
b) throw my arms in front of my son to protect him from the berserk fireworks.

The answer: You and Child Protective Services will be happy to know that the answer is b.

Maybe I exaggerate, but that's my near death experience. I'm all for the new law legalizing aerial fireworks (because who are we kidding, people set them off anyway) but maybe we should leave the lighting of them to the professionals (which is not this young fellow).

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are still alive. And your kidlet too :)

    ReplyDelete