Friday, July 22, 2011

Dealers Beware


We're in car shopping mode lately. You are probably thinking (along with every car salesman in Utah County) that we are in car buying mode. These are two very different things in our house.

We are shopping. We do want to buy, it's just that the distance from point A to point B can be months for us.

I've mentioned before that I'm a skeptical consumer, but when paired with my husband who has recently taken up KSL, KBB, and motor vehicle review scavenging as a hobby we are an absolute nightmare to sell a car to.

I'm feeling really bad about this. But not too bad to be pressured into buying.

We have been to every dealership within a 30 mile radius of our home. We have test driven more vehicles than I can count on two hands. I have some favorite salesman and some not so favorite (there are more of these).

In case you find your self in this predicament any time soon here are my tips:

1) Stay away from the 20-something sales dude with the fatty watch, cocky stance, and blank stare. He will not know the answers to any of your questions. Sometimes he will make up answers and he doesn't know anything about the vehicular concerns of women.

2) Take a smart phone or Ipad with you. During the test drive, double check KBB values, KSL options, and take pictures of you driving in super hot cars to post on Facebook like you own them. All of them. (Kidding).

3) Do not let your husband sneakily trick you into wanting a car that can't handle itself in the snow or one that cannot fit a baby seat in the back. Mine can be very persuasive, so I have to be on my A game folks.

2 comments:

  1. My husband liked your post. He's actually a car salesman, probably within your 30 mile radius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy! I hope for his sake he's never met us. :)

    ReplyDelete