Monday, June 6, 2011

Man's Best Friend

I'm an avid obituary reader, circa 2004. As I was reading them the other day I came across one for a dog (yes, you read it right, a dog). In all my years of perusing the obits that's a first for me. R.I.P. Fluffy*.

Now, I am not a member of PETA or an avid animal lover. So, naturally I have a hard time understanding people putting pets on the same level as, you know, humans.

A lady I lived by once told me that losing her dog was as hard as if she lost a child. I'd like to think that she was just in mourning and wasn't thinking clearly. But what if she really felt that way? What if a kidnapper/serial killer/escaped convict/crazy person broke into her house and said he was going to either take her daughter or her dog but it was up to her to choose? Would she hesitate? Would she choose her daughter? Would she really have to think about it? If so, that's messed up.

In the animal fanatics defense I know that animals can be good companions, I've had my fair share of beloved pets in days of yore. But the death of, for example, my turtle didn't quite shake me as much as the deaths of the humans I've known. I don't know, maybe I'm strange that way.

*Name has been changed to protect privacy

1 comment:

  1. Funny that you should post this seeing as two of my childhood pets have passed on this month. My mom texted the whole family. My response: "Oh, that's too bad." I'd like to think that my response to a family member dying would be a little more intense.

    I did go to the zoo this month though and felt some compassion for those locked up animals who no longer have the desire to do anything but sleep and look rather depressed; so I guess I'm not heartless when it comes to animals.

    P.S. Does it gross you out when people kiss their dogs on the mouth? I'm totally sickened by this.

    ReplyDelete