Saturday, June 11, 2011

Holy Hanna (Andersson): When Family Dressing Goes Too Far

When it was announced that my second child would be a girl and of a different seasonal size than my first girl, one of the first things I did was go shopping, naturally.

On that very first outing I picked out two coordinating little dresses and thought about how adorable my little ones would be in pictures and at church in their little matchy matchy suits.

Fast forward a few years, and while I still coordinate them for special occasions (Easter, Christmas, pictures, etc.) the novelty has worn off some, and now if you find them coordinating on another day it's because of one simple reason:

MOM ONLY HAS ONE BRAIN...one brain means one idea for an outfit that will work with the weather on that day or in that season. Coordinating gives me the gift in the morning I need most...time. It saves me time to pick out one outfit in our morning routine and it also saves me time and hassle to pick out one outfit in two different sizes at the store.

And let's face it, sometimes it's just plain cute.

While perusing a Hanna Andersson catalog though, I got thinking...have they taken this too far? Then I started researching online.

They aren't altogether wrong. Let's take a look at the cute:

(Note: Although clearly these kids aren't all siblings, let's pretend for the moment that they are)






Cute, right? Any grandma would proudly display any of these pics on their mantle.

Now, let's look at the not cute:





Scary, right? If you start involving yourself in family dressing to this extreme, you need to stop, take a deep breath, and take a serious fashion inventory. I'm not a grandma, but if I were and I received a framed picture of this sort, I'd probably give this family mall gift certificates for every Christmas, anniversary, and birthday gift for the rest of my life.

Unless, of course, that mall included a Hanna Andersson store.

Then I'd just pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment