Monday, May 30, 2011

What's the Deal with Brown?

I went into a furniture store a few days ago and, not surprisingly, everything was brown. The beds were brown, the entertainment centers were brown, the throw pillows were brown, the little ball doodads that people put on their tables were brown...you get my drift.

I've been noticing this monochromatic trend in local magazines who have advertisements for interior designers. The interior design companies include a picture of their work which is usually a family room that boasts, you guessed it, brown walls, brown floors, brown furniture, brown picture frames, brown accents.

And if the brown interior wasn't bad enough, what's with the neighborhoods filled entirely with nothing but brown stucco houses? They're popping up everywhere. Hello, there are other choices out there!

So, what's the point of this post? Nothing, except to say I don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. Ironically, you are well placed to be queen of the Brown empire. :) I'm with you though. I try my darndest not to look like every other house on the block. Not because I don't like the brown, just because there are so many other cute colorful options. My walls are green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon this blog. It's great by the way. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents. Being an interior designer (who actually went to school for design), the Utah brown thing is disgusting. I'm not sure who decided it looked good...probably a man. But I try hard to show people that there are many more colors on the color wheel. Thank you Utah County for being known as Brown Town cuz that is literally all you will find down there. I wish people would open up a real design magazine to get their inspiration. Oh, I could go on about brown. Thanks for the interesting reading every day:)

    ReplyDelete