Friday, May 6, 2011

The Story of Being Somebody's Mom




I don't have children yet but when I do I imagine that I'll be saying the things my mom said repeatedly in her finest mothering moments.

You know the things I'm talking about--motherisms. The things I swore I'd never say to my own children (because my children will be perfectly behaved and if not, I will be)(please tell me there is someone out there who held true to this oath so I know there is hope):

"I'm not just talking to hear myself talk.
"Did you think your clothes were going to pick themselves up?"
"How many times do I have to tell you to _____?"
"I'm starting to sound like a broken record around here!"
"What part of NO don't you understand."
"If it were a snake it would have bitten you."
"I'm not going to ask you again."
"I've had it up to here..."

And of course, my all time favorite, totally non-politically-correct threat:
"You'd better watch it or I'll sell you to the gypsies.

Just writing them makes me roll my eyes and laugh (sorry mom, somethings never change). In preparation for mother's day I thought all you moms (and children of mothers) might enjoy this little diddy I saw on a poster at work the other day. 
There once was an important job to be done and Everybody was asked to do it.
But Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it.

But Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about it, because it was everybody's job.
Everybody thought that Anybody could do it,and Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody and Nobody did the job that Anybody could have done in the first place.
Hope y'all have a grand mother's day and soak up all the recognition you'll be getting for the work you do that Nobody does quite like you, Somebody couldn't do without your help, and Everyone appreciates.

1 comment:

  1. yeah... I used to say I wouldn't do or say a lot of things but I find myself saying things like that anyway. but, I would say that if there is something you REALLY hated about the way your parents did things then you can focus on not doing that. Good luck future momma :)

    ReplyDelete