Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm a Pro Now Guys

I think it's a remnant of my teen-age know-it-all ness.

Maybe even the after effects of oldest child syndrome.

Either way,  I have this funny little concern about people thinking I'm a silly young thing who doesn't know a thing or two about which way is up. I just don't like it. At all.

It's this silly self-consciousness that has caused my husband a lot of smirking in the last month as we introduce ourselves to the new neighbors. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times someone has asked us if we are newlyweds (just waiting to ohh and ahh like we are cute babies for my response. Bleck).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-marriage. It's the best thing I ever did. I just want to skip quickly past the part where everyone thinks of all the awkward moments and figuring things out you have to go through as a newlywed and how people shake their heads and tsk tsk and think "those poor kids don't know what they're getting themselves into" and go straight to the grey haired sage stage (I've always been old at heart).

So let me ask you, at what point do you stop being a newlywed?

Is it when the wife stops burning dinner? If so, I just might be an eternal newlywed.

Is it when you stop sitting next to each other on the couch? Because we've got that covered. 

Is it when you have a child? We don't have any kids.

What if you make a honeymoon baby, are you immediately dubbed "experienced?" I think I'm probably more experienced than this couple... in all marital duties minus the children part.

Is it at a certain year mark? One year? Two years? Three years? How about four? Consider for me the fact that within four years people graduate from high school or college, have time enough to walk around the world, and develop from immobile infancy to hyperactive chatty children. Four years sounds like an awful long time to gain experience to me people...

Can I be experienced now please? I promise I know what I'm doing.

3 comments:

  1. Ah Nick and Jessica! :( Not going to lie seeing them made me so sad.
    Uhh, So yeah I don't think its fair for people to treat the two of you as newly weds. It must be the kid thing because Gabe and I technically still are newly weds ... we are under 3 years! But people don't treat us like we are usually.
    Yep, its time for you to get a kid for your experience status to go up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I've never thought you were at all immature. Despite our age difference if there were a maturity contest, you'd beat me by a mile. The issue is that people just want to be you...young, beautiful, in love, able to have an uninterrupted conversation. We would all love to go back to those days at times.

    Just be grateful; no one has asked me if I was a newlywed in about 5 years. And they ALL call me mam now. No miss for me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness Erica, I think you are one of the most mature people I know. But I am going to agree with Samantha. After we had Penny then BAM! everyone thought both Harrison and I were 27. No joke. I have no idea why that is the age, but apparently 27 is the age to have a baby and not be considered a newlywed. People are quite shocked when we tell them we've only been married just shy of 3 years. So maybe once you have a crazy kiddo you will also be 27 in the eyes of everyone else :) But take your time and enjoy everything about being (cough) "newlyweds"!

    ReplyDelete