Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Day at the Mall

My brother is getting married in a few weeks, which means I need a dress for the wedding. Preferably, within the wedding colors. It's hard enough to find a decent dress nowadays, but limit it to 3 or 4 colors and it's pretty near impossible, am I right? I'm right.

So I ventured to the mall a few days ago. Outcome: unsuccessful. I walked into every store that offered clothing and only found two dresses that were worth trying on.

I must have been hiding under a rock for a year, but when did all (and I do mean all) of the dresses start hitting three inches above the knee? And in Utah, no less (I can't imagine what it must be like trying to find a dress in the mission field, bless your hearts). Does this mean I should start shopping in the *gulp* woman's section? Maybe I should have made this change long ago, but the junior's section is just more appealing. You know, because they don't carry a large section of tropical clothing or pastel jogging suits like my new found friend the woman's section.

And mall workers - not helpful. Thank you for trying, though, partially shaved head female mall worker, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say our sense of style is probably not very similar. Mainly because I prefer to keep the hair on my head.

And also, I hate department stores. I prefer a store where you can circle the entire room in 2 minutes. My sense of direction is poor anyway, but put me in a department store and I circle the entire thing 2 or 3 times before I finally realize I've already been there.

So all in all another disappointing day at the mall. I should have bought a cheese corn dog, then my shopping would not have been in vain.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I would also add that it is extremely difficult to find a good-looking ankle length dress. Any on the racks are still there from the 90's (Which was 20 years ago people). If you have a spare $100 to spend I recommend checking out the dresses at shabbyapple.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm sort of with you on this one; it's hard to find something especially when you are doing it for an event where you'll most likely be photographed. I like shabby apple too; I've found some solid dresses at down east also although they usually don't wash that well, so they're kind of a one season thing.

    Did you try Nordstrom? Because the sales people there could talk me into a potato sack, I swear.

    Also, sometimes going for separates (skirt and top with a cardigan or something) is smart for the mix and match quality and can look as dressy as a dress if you add some bold accessories.

    ReplyDelete